Sun, Oct 22|
The Duvall Food Forest
Design & Build a Food Forest
We will learn the basics of ecological gardening, explore the “layers'' of fruiting plants that make up a food forest, and plant one together. Learn how to design and create a thriving plant community that feeds you in return.
Time & Location
Oct 22, 2023, 11:00 AM – 1:00 PM
The Duvall Food Forest, 26524 NE Cherry Valley Rd, Duvall, WA 98019, USA
About the Event
Join local garden coach, Katie Vincent of Tending Alive to learn how to design and build a food forest in your own backyard. We’ll learn the basics of ecological gardening + plant communities. Together, we will explore The Duvall Food Forest to see these principles in action—meeting a variety of perennial edible plants along the way. At the end of the workshop, we will take a hands-on approach to apply our learnings as we plant a new part of the food forest together. You will walk away with a short guide on how to build a food forest, and more confidence to design + create a thriving plant community that feeds you in return. Participants can expect to learn:
- Basic principles of ecological gardening and food forestry.
- Tools and techniques for engaging the ecological design process.
- Local plant communities and their functions.
- Perennial and edible plant varieties appropriate to our bioregion, and how to best source them.
- Get to know the useful plants in the food forest and various harvesting techniques.
- How to design and plant your own food forest at home.
- Maintaining a food forest across time and space.
- Further resources to support your food forest dreams.
Stick around for a free community potluck from 1-2pm and work party 2-5pm!
About the instructors
Katie Vincent (they/she) is an ecological garden coach, consultant and designer based out of Duvall, WA. They’ve worked with plants and people for over 17 years, most recently as the garden manager at Bastyr University and as a lecturer for UW School of Landscape Architecture. Katie believes that in these extraordinary times of climate upheaval, the Earth needs all the “green thumbs” it can get. They offer courses and coaching to birth the next generation of soulful, attuned land stewards in their small business Tending Alive: www.tendingalive.com.
- Ticket type
This ticket is offered on a sliding scale from $45 - $65. Financial assistance can be made available to those in need. Email info@theduvallfoodforest for more information.PricePay what you want
+Service fee+Service fee